Before any more time goes by—yikes, it’s been a week already!—some afterthoughts on WFC. The blogosphere, ADD as it is, has long ago up and moved on, and everyone else has filed their reports and coverage. So please indulge me three quick posts pertaining thereto. First, huge congrats to all this year’s nominees and winners at World Fantasy Con!
- Lifetime Achievement: Ellen Asher & Jane Yolen
- Best Novel (tie): The Shadow Year, Jeffrey Ford (Morrow) & Tender Morsels, Margo Lanagan (Allen & Unwin; Knopf)
- Best Novella: “If Angels Fight”, Richard Bowes (F&SF 2/08)
- Best Short Story: “26 Monkeys, Also the Abyss”, Kij Johnson (Asimov’s 7/08)
- Best Anthology: Paper Cities: An Anthology of Urban Fantasy, Ekaterina Sedia, ed. (Senses Five Press)
- Best Collection: The Drowned Life, Jeffrey Ford (HarperPerennial)
- Best Artist: Shaun Tan
- Special Award – Professional: Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant (for Small Beer Press and Big Mouth House)
- Special Award – Non-Professional: Michael Walsh (for Howard Waldrop collections from Old Earth Books)
Another round of applause from this section for my former teacher Jeffrey Ford, and the publishers of my upcoming translation of Georges-Olivier Châteaureynaud’s stories, Kelly Link & Gavin J. Grant. And w00t for the Paper Cities upset!